Holla for Hoopla!
Devils Backbone Hoopla Preview
Sept 29- Oct 2, Nelson County, VA
By Diane Farineau
Hoopwhat? Stop the presses…… this festival may not be on your radar because it’s brand spanking new! No need to panic, there are still tickets available and due to the convenient Central Virginia location, this venue is a breeze to get to and, considering fall is full on festival season, your gear is probably already packed. On the fence about adding another awesome weekend to your schedule? Here’s why Hoopla needs to be on your agenda:
- LOCATION, location, location – Hoopla is on the Devils Backbone Brewery Basecamp site in Nellysford, VA, just outside Charlottesville. (The same site where prior year’s Festy has been held– which is now moving over to Oak Ridge the home of Lockn’) If you’ve been, then you know what a sweet setup they have. If you haven’t, it’s one of the easiest to get to, and to get in and set up (so you can get on with the fun), one of the prettiest venues smack in the valley of the Blue Ridge Mtns, with mountains in front and behind, and a site that has a comfortable layout where nothing you want to do requires an all-day trek.
- It’s all about the MUSIC, dummy! While you can refer to their website for full details here are a few big name teasers; Old 97s, Holy Ghost Tent Revival, and The Revivalists. Interspersed are local favorites like the Gold Top County Ramblers, and the Trongone Band (oh, also Dylan LeBlanc – if you haven’t heard him yet you can thank me later).
- And the BEER….. Mega award winning Devils Backbone Brewery is the anchor for Hoopla, and opens their doors to revelers throughout the weekend, but it’s not just the drinking of the brew — if this is passion of yours there are tours, talks, demos and a Rare Beer Fest Pop Up with a chance to sample some lovelies you’ve never even heard of.
- You will love this COMMUNITY – this is a family friendly event, with significant kid programming – like a Fairy Lantern Making workshop, followed by s’mores and caramel apples around the fire, oh yeah , and every kid’s favorite, the climbing wall. There are also cool family events like a campsite chili cook-off challenge, tye dye workshop, and a craft market. Festival organizers have a strong commitment to and focus on Stewardship, with multiple weekend efforts designed to give back to beautiful Nelson County (Food/Coat drive, trash pickup, Thanksgiving Turkey Fund Drive.)
- Get your GAME There is plenty of fun for big kids, too. Human Foosball, Beer Frisbee, a Cornhole Tournament and a site wide Scavenger Hunt are all yours (or maybe mine) for the winning. There’s also lots of killer mountain biking and a 5K Trail run. So bring it!
The weather is usually perfect this time of year, that special window when you get to wear shorts and a fleece. There are pumpkins and apples and no less than five wineries, three breweries, a cidery and a distillery all within 30 minutes of Hoopla (maybe make it a full week of fun? http://nelson151.com/about/ )
Ticketing (http://dbbrewingcompany.com/events/event/devils-backbone-hoopla/) is clearly outlined and there are lots of options, from day tripping to glamping and additional excursion packages available for pre purchase. Trust me – when you read about the killer time we had you’ll kick yourself for missing it. See you there!